1. A good painting should make you REACT = this is called 'Emotional Response'
2. You might say 'a 5 year old could have painted that' = THAT'S GOOD = you've responded!
3. It doesn't matter if you HATE a painting
4. As long as you respond
5. If you walk past = the painting has not made you react = BAD!!
6. However, that's the difficulty in selling paintings. Some buyers do NOT WANT to buy a painting with a strong emotional response (hence the purchase of a lot of POSTERS). They do not want to respond emotionally but want 'decorative art' that is NEUTRAL in its appeal.